448007-001

448007-001

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Air conditioning Options Central, Ductless, Or Through-the-wall.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Air conditioning Options Central, Ductless, Or Through-the-wall.   Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Tom Kraeutler, home improvement expert and host on the nationally syndicated Money Pit Do-it-yourself Radio, answers questions and provides helpful tips on ac units for your home.

Question:
I would like to fit air conditioning on the 1st floor of my a pair of story home. I have casement design and style windows that swing out well, i can't install a truck's window unit. I could mount central air, but I don't utilize the 2nd floor of the house. The windows are 10 season old Anderson. Should I replace 1 window that has a double hung window therefore i can fit in an air conditioning unit or go for core air?

Answer:
My primary choice for energy overall performance, as well overall consolation, would be to use a central air conditioning technique. These systems can be "zoned" so they really will only cool one floor of the home and not both. However, you certainly should work toward both and discuss the fact that with your contractor as it may be less costly to install a lot of the ducting to "get ready" for cooling the second floor sooner or later in the future.

Another option might be to put in a through-the-wall air conditioning unit. Many of the larger units are presented with wall mounted fleshlight sleeves. To install, you'd need to cut a hole from the exterior wall and frame it out the identical way you'd frame an opening for just a window or door. It is very important to do this effectively, as you will end up being impacting the structural integrity of your home. Also, this type of system will quite possible cause a heat loss in your winter as it is quite difficult to seal it to stop cold air leaking within.

A better option, which cost-wise will be in between the cost of a central system along with through-the-wall mounted portable, might be ductless air conditioning. I have Fujitsu ductless air conditioning system similar to this in my office and therefore the ductless air conditioning system works quite well as a supplement for you to my central system, which doesn't fully extend into the office space. With ductless air conditioning, you have a wall structure blower that hangs internally wall of your property. This is connected by using a refrigerant line to a compact compressor which sits outside the house, just like a important system. The compressor supplies chilled refrigerant to the blower inside, which circulates this cooled air.

Given the above, my choice would come to be (1) central; (2) ductless; (3) through-the-wall.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, you should be certain to choose the best energy efficient air conditioning unit possible. Energy Star has a fantastic new program called Great Your World With Vigor Star @ Home that can help you understand cooling capability and options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://448007-001.createforum.co.uk

Air conditioning Options Central, Ductless, Or Through-the-wall.
Page 1 of 1